This Saturday (16 June) B&Q stores across the UK are giving away 150,000 sunflower plants to children and families in a bid to get kids growing.
Head down to your local B&Q between 10am and midday to pick up your free sunflowers.
Every store will have growing experts available to help show families exactly how to plant and take care of their sunflower.
In support of the campaign, celebrity gardener Alan Titchmarsh has given us his top tips for growing sunflowers:
- Make sure you plant the sunflower in a spot where it’s sunny all day long, these plants love the sun
- Ensure that the plant has enough space, roughly 30 inches apart from other plants.
- Water the plant as soon as you’ve planted it and remember to water infrequently to encourage the roots to grow deep.
- When it gets to roughly 30cm high, support the plant with a bamboo stick. Doing this will encourage the plant to grow as tall as it can with the support of the stick.
- To protect the plant from animals, buy some netting to drape over the plant. That way the plant will produce lots of seeds, which are a tasty snack for birds.
If you pick up a plant let us know how you get on – we’d love to see your photos of the results!